Burgers With Caramelized Onions, And Red Pepper MayonnaisePosted: April 23, 2017 Filed under: Recipes Leave a comment
On the menu for two weeks from now!
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 3/4 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 pound raw Mexican chorizo, casings removed and crumbled
- 1 large yellow onion, grated
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (Publix now carries a great brand!)
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 2 medium jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I make my own as there are no mayos available any more in grocery stores that use healthy, extra virgin olive oil)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- To make the red pepper mayonnaise, purée the red peppers in a blender or food processor. Add the mayonnaise and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
2. To prepare the burgers, thoroughly mix the ground sirloin, ground chuck, chorizo, onion, bread crumbs and adobo seasoning in a large bowl by hand. Form the burgers into 6 patties without pressing them too much, or they can become tough. Line a baking pan with waxed paper and put the burgers side by side in a single layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This will help the burgers hold together.
3. To cook the burgers, preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat. Brush the grill grates clean. Lightly oil the grate. Place the burgers on the grate and cover with the grill lid. Cook, flipping the burgers every 5 minutes, until they are medium well and feel firm when pressed on top with a finger, 15 to 20 minutes (due to the raw chorizo, do not cook for less time. Or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.)
4. Add the burgers and cover. Cook, lowering the heat as needed and flipping the burgers every 5 minutes, until medium well, 15 to 20 minutes. During the last few minutes, top each burger with a cheese slice. Remove from the grill.
5. Serve with onions and mayo.