1. Eat whole, natural foods. Nothing from cans or boxes.
2. Eat only foods that will spoil, but eat them before they do.
3. Eat naturally-raised meat including fish, seafood, poultry, beef, lamb, game and eggs.
4. Drink filtered water, NOT distilled. A reverse Osmosis water filter is the most cost effective way to get clean water. You can get one that filters your kitchen sink water, or a system for the whole house. If you do not have water filters on your shower heads, then bath with the window or door open, to minimize breathing chlorine.
5. Avoid dairy, grains, flours.
6. Utilize the glycemic index, work off the bottom half.
7. Use only traditional fats and oils including butter and other animal fats, Minimize the use of extra virgin olive oil, expeller expressed sesame and flax oil. Get these delicate, fragile oils in the foods they came in; olives, avocadoes, green leafy vegetables, sesame seeds.
8. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
9. Prepare homemade meat stocks from the bones of chicken, beef, lamb or fish and use liberally in soups and sauces.
10. Make demi-glace, use it for depth of flavor and nutrients.
11. Use filtered water for cooking and drinking.
12. Use unrefined Celtic sea salt and a variety of herbs and spices for food interest and appetite stimulation.
13. Make your own salad dressing using raw vinegar, whole foods like carrots, avocadoes, tomatoes, coconut oil.
14. Use natural sweeteners in moderation, such as raw honey, maple syrup, dehydrated cane sugar juice and stevia powder.
15. Use only unpasteurized wine or beer in strict moderation with meals.
16. Cook only in stainless steel, cast iron, glass or good quality enamel.
17. Store food in glass or stainless steel containers, NOT plastic.
18. Use only natural supplements from FOOD sources.
19. Get plenty of sleep, do what it takes to be able to awaken naturally at dawn. Open the windows, get your circadian rhythm going by letting the brain get the light it needs to become awake quickly and effortlessly, looking forward to your day. This becomes normal after the initial detox.
20. Get plenty of exercise, yoga, core body work, walking, dancing, hula hooping, swimming…the more in motion you stay, the better you feel.
21. Get plenty of natural sunlight, for happiness, for Vitamin D.
22. Normal bathing should not require soap. A loofah will do…maybe in strategic spots like under your arms, but use an all-natural soap. I use Dr. Bonners.
23. Sleep on chemical free beddings; a organic wool and cotton futon topped with a feather bed costs less than $500.00 and is heaven to sleep on!! The fire retardant chemicals in a normal mattress is 100 times more carcinogenic than nicotine and contributes to lowered sperm count, infertility and interferes with normal hormone production.
24. Use 100% natural fibers to wear and to sleep on.
25. Think positive thoughts and minimize stress.
26. Practice forgiveness.
27. Choose peace, and happiness in every moment.
Today is a very simple one- MOVE!
I know, I know…who has time to make it to the gym, right?
I realized decades a go when I was a single mom with 5 kids, that bicycle riding, gym visits and running were off the table…couldn’t get away. And by the time you get ready, go to class, get back home…that 45 minute workout turned into a hour an a half time commitment! And we were told for years that we had to get out heart rate up and sustain it for us to offer us any cardiovascular benefits. That simply isn’t true. Any movement, a degree of exercise is great..and you reap benefits.
For 25 years now I have practiced yoga and weight lifting. BUT, my main sources of aerobic exercise is dancing, hula hooping, gardening, yard work, standing 8 to 10 hours a day (I am a Chef and author, I use a standing desk).
Several times a day, and every evening I take a break, turn on some kick ass music (BB King, Peter Gabriel, Keb’ Mo, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner are some faves) and I dance like crazy! I also usually follow yoga with hula hooping with a 7 pound hula hoop. I also go several times a week and swing at the park. And remember that sex, if done with enough enthusiasm, is a great workout!!
So get off the couch, and simply move, have fun…you’ll be healthier for it! You’ll sleep better, aid digestion, stave off depression, oxygenate the body (a great cancer preventative)…and enjoy life more!