Orange SabayonPosted: April 25, 2017
There is no better breakfast or dessert than fruit sabayon! This very low sugar dessert can be made with stevia so that it is sugar free! You can make it with a nice white wine, or my preference, lemon and orange juice.
1/3 cup granulated sugar OR 1/3 teaspoon stevia
Zest from 1 orange
6 egg yolks- save the whites, freeze in ice cube trays and use for meringue (they make better meringue after being frozen.
1/3 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoons orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 cups of berries of your choice. I mix strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
1) Whisk yolks and sugar (or stevia) until they are pale yellow and frothy.
2) Using a double boiler pan, add enough water so the top pan does not touch the water when placed on top. Bring water to boiling.
3. Place pan with egg yolk mixture over boiling water. Turn heat down to medium to low and whisk continuously for about 7 minutes, until thickened. . You can alternate between slow and vigorous whisking but if you need to stop whisking, remove the pan from the heat. If at all possible, try not to break the cooking cycle.
4) When thickened, add juice and zest mixture and continue whisking until thickened again.
4. You know the sabayon is ready when the mixture becomes thick and when you lift the whisk, the sabayon can hold its shape.
5. Remove from heat and spoon the warm sabayon over fresh berries