The Whole Grain Lie – Looking Beyond GlutenPosted: July 20, 2012
Photo from another Grain Free Site; My Life In a Pyramid
At the last Gluten Free Society meeting, I lectured on the detrimental properties of grain. So here it is – The Whole Grain Lie that’s slowly killing you…
Why do we assume that grain is such a healthy food?
The Food Guide Pyramid recommends large quantities of grain as a staple food in the diet. Why? Did you know that the U.S. Government mandated that processed grain products be fortified with vitamins and minerals in 1943? The reason? Processed grains caused nutritional diseases like Beri Beri and Pellagra (vitamin B1 and B3 deficiency respectively).
Detrimental Qualities of Grain (Including Whole Grain)
- The seeds are doused with chemical hormones and pesticides like atrazine to aid in growth. These chemicals mimic estrogen and cause hormone disruption in both men and women.
- Low in the essential fatty acids EPA and DHA (omega 3)
- Poor source of complete protein
- Contain enzyme inhibitors
- Contains addictive proteins that can alter behavior, mood, and contribute to mental dysfunction
- Contain anti nutrients that cause malabsorption of minerals
- Contain autoimmune inducing peptides and lectins
- Cause sodium and water retention
- Cause excessive insulin response leading to weight gain and diabetes.
But Our Children Eat Grain –
- Breakfast = cereal, donuts, bagels, cereal bars, tortillas, toast, kolaches, etc.
- Lunch = Sandwich and whole grain crackers
- Dinner = Pasta, pizza, breaded chicken fingers, hamburgers, etc
- Snacks = Goldfish, whole grain crackers, drinks and fruit snacks loaded with corn syrup (yes, corn is a grain – not a vegetable).
Our children are fatter and sicker than they have ever been. According to statistics and recent published studies, half of kids today are overweight.
What Can You Do?
- Get educated and make healthy diet changes for your children before it’s too late.
- Watch this video on how gluten affects children now.
Read More HERE…