Soba and Sweet Potatoes in Miso-Lime BrothPosted: September 18, 2019
1 ½ tablespoons ghee
½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
½ teaspoon star anise powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
4 scallions, whites and greens separated and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 ounces soba or other buckwheat noodles
2 heads baby Bok choy, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup sweet white miso
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, peel and cut sweet potatoes in 1 ½ inch cubes (they will shrink when roasted). Toss with toasted sesame oil, then toss with cumin, paprika and star anise powder. Bake until edges are brown and sweet potatoes are tender but not mushy.
2. Stir measured spices in a preheated Dutch oven and toast spices.
3. Then add oil and butter over medium heat. Add ginger, scallion whites, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add shiitakes and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook soba according to package instructions. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
3. Add Bok choy to soup and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in cooked soba.
4. Remove 1 cup hot broth and whisk with miso until smooth, then stir into soup. Add lime juice and season with salt. Serve with scallion greens and lime wedges.