Bahamian Chicken and Shrimp StewPosted: January 19, 2017
Serving Size : 4
3 pounds boneless chicken thighs- cut in pieces
1 ½ pound small shrimp — tails off
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons butter
1 large onion — diced
1 large green pepper — diced
10 red potatoes — peeled and diced
5 1/4 whole carrots – diced
2 cups Chicken stock
7/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 3/4 tablespoons ground allspice
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutme1 tablespoon ginger- minced
1 Tablespoon allspice
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons Thyme
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can Coconut milk
Salt and pepper- to taste
2 Tablespoons molasses
4 Tablespoons Tomato paste
½ cups lime juice
2 cans diced tomato
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1) Toss the chicken wings with 3 tablespoons lime juice and the seasoned salt. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
2) Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper; cook and stir until the onion has softened and begun to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, red pepper flakes, allspice, thyme, nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, cinnamon, ginger, bay leaves, marinated chicken, lime juice, and stock. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and continue simmering until the chicken is done, and the vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.
3) Add tomatoes, paste and coconut milk, stir, simmer another 10 minutes.
4) Add shrimp, simmer 4 more minutes.
5) Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper, chop cilantro and top before serving.