Chicken Fried Steak- lactose and gluten free recipe!Posted: May 4, 2015
Here’s my lactose and gluten free recipe for Chicken Fried Steak!
Serving Size : 4
3 cups sweet rice flour
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup coconut milk
2 pounds cube steaks
1/2 cup butter
1 medium onion — minced
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
2 medium cloves garlic — minced or pressed through a garlic press
3 tablespoons sweet rice flour
1/2 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 cups coconut milk
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1) For the steaks: Measure the flour, 5 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne into a large shallow dish.
2) Stir rice vinegar into coconut milk. In a second large shallow dish, beat the egg, baking powder, and baking soda; stir in the coconut milk (the mixture will bubble and foam).
3) Heat iron skillet to medium hot. When hot, add butter and let it come to bubbling.
4) Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper to taste. Drop the steaks into the flour and shake the pan to coat. Shake excess flour from each steak, then, using tongs, dip the steaks into the egg mixture, turning to coat well and allowing the excess to drip off. Coat the steaks with flour again, shake off the excess.
5) Place three steaks in the butter and fry, turning once, until deep golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes (oil temperature will drop to around 335 degrees).
6) Turn the heat to medium, add the onion and thyme, and cook until the onion has softened and is beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the flour to the pan and stir until well combined and starting to dissolve, about 1 minute.
7) Whisk in the broth, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook until thickened (gravy should have a loose consistency-it will thicken as it cools), about 5 minutes.
8) Transfer the chicken-fried steaks to individual plates. Spoon a generous amount of gravy over each steak. Serve immediately, placing any remaining gravy in a small bowl.