Coconut Thai Soup with ShrimpPosted: October 19, 2014
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon garlic
2 tablespoons kefir lime skin
1 stalk lemon grass — minced
1 large onions — cut in half moons
1 tablespoon Thai Red Curry Paste — or store bought
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 large red peppers — large diced
2 cans coconut milk — (13.5 ounce)
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms — sliced
1 pound medium shrimp – peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1) Using a mortar and pestle, or a surabachi, make a paste of scallions, red curry paste, kefir lime skin, lemon grass stalks, ginger, garlic, cumin.
2) Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the paste until incorporated in to the butter. Add onions, cook until softened.
3) Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continually. Stir in the fish sauce and honey; peppers, mushrooms, simmer for 15 minutes.
4) Add the coconut milk, simmer about 5 minutes. DO NOT let it fully boil, the coconut milk will separate. Simmer gently.
5) Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro.