Crispy Sweet Potato Gnocchi- Gluten-free!Posted: October 6, 2014
When I was a vegetarian, back in my 30’s, someone served me gnocchi. I was underwhelmed. A glob of pasta, kinda..with very little flavor. So I started playing wit the recipe. Here is my Crispy Sweet Potato Gnocchi.
5 large red-skinned sweet potatoes- baked well done
5 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons salt
4 cups sweet rice flour — (about)
4 whole eggs
2 cups cornmeal
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
salt and pepper
7 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1) Butter a large baking sheet. Cut cooled sweet potatoes in half. Scrape sweet potato flesh into medium bowl and mash; transfer 3 cups to large bowl. Add 2 teaspoons salt mash to blend. Mix in eggs, then flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, until soft dough forms.
2) Preheat oven to 455°F.
3) Bring large pot of water to boil; add 2 tablespoons salt and return to boil. Working in batches, forming golf ball size rounds, drop into boiling until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. They are ready to lift out when they float.
4) Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to the bowl with the cornmeal and spices, roll in cornmeal. Transfer gnocchi to buttered rimmed baking sheet.
5) Bake until gnocchi is very crispy, about 30 minutes.
6) Mix honey and Dijon mustard, dip gnocchi in sauce to serve.