Berries with Orange SabayonPosted: June 22, 2014
This is wonderful easy and elegant dessert. Combing the berries with a protein also makes it very health as it balances the carbs, not allowing the carbs in the berries to elevate the blood sugar.
I don’t always caramelize sugar on top…it’s great without it.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon or orange zest, and 3 tablespoons juice from 1 large lemon or orange
- pinch table salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar (2 1/3 ounces)
- 1cup fresh raspberries
- 1cup fresh blackberries
- 1cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar for caramelized crust
1. FOR THE SABAYON: Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine the water, zest, juice, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until frothy, about 1 minute. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Continue whisking until the mixture begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the juice/zest mixture and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick, light yellow, and tripled in volume, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the bowl from the saucepan, whisk constantly for about 30 seconds to cool, then set aside while preparing the berries, occasionally whisking the mixture.
4. FOR THE BERRIES: Combine the berries in a wide, shallow 2-quart broiler-safe gratin dish or divide among 6 ramekins or individual gratin dishes set on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake the berries until the fruit is warm and just beginning to release its juices, about 8 minutes. Remove the berries from the oven. Spoon the sabayon over the berries and sprinkle with the sugar. Ignite a kitchen torch and caramelize the sugar. Serve immediately.