Eggplant Lasagna – No Pasta, Low Carb!Posted: January 29, 2014
2 medium or large eggplants
1/3 cup butter
5 teaspoons dried oregano
2 Tablespoons dried thyme
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1/2 cup packed Fresh Basil- chiffonade
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
kosher or sea salt
ground black pepper
5 cups Marinara sauce
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 Tablespoons Demi Glace
3 pounds grass fed hamburger or bison
1 large white or yellow onion – chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup red wine – optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix melted butter 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cut the ends off the eggplant and slice into ¼ inch slices. Brush eggplant slices with butter mixture. Grill on a hot, dry grill pan or broil under pre-heated broiler for about 4 – 5 minutes (until browned) and flip, cook on other side until browned and slightly soft about another 3 -4 minutes. It will cook more in the oven so slightly under cooked is ok. Set aside until layering the lasagna.
3. Heat a cast iron Dutch oven to medium hot, then add butter and crumble meat as you add it to the pot. You want to brown the meat of high heat until it looks a little dry and liquid is almost gone from pot. This develops the flavor in the meat.
4) Remove meat to bowl, set aside. Add chopped onion and cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add demi glace and let it melt. Add Marinara sauce, wine if using and 2 Tablespoons of oregano, thyme and dried basil. Let cook for about an hour. Add tomato paste. Simmer 5 minutes, add fresh basil.
5. Brush a large lasagna dish with some melted butter. Ladle in a little bit of the tomato sauce and spread over bottom of dish.
6. Layer half the eggplant slices in the bottom. Sprinkle with Rice Parmesan. Then layer sauce, continue until you end with sauce.
7. After it is cooked through, about an hour,top with top with Rice Parmesan. Heat another 5 minutes.