Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Meat LoafPosted: November 26, 2012
4 strips lean organic bacon
2 teaspoons turbinado sugar, optional
1 pound grass fed bison or ground beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2/3 cup fine dry gluten free bread crumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup grated Rice Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Cajun seasonings
1/3 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/3 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon garlic granules
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1) Cut bacon strips in half crosswise and coat with the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. In a large skillet, cook the sugared bacon for about 2 minutes to render some of the excess fat. Or, cook on a paper plate in the microwave for about 1 minute.
2) Heat oven to 350°. Line a baking pan with foil and lightly oil the foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
3) In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, egg, cheese, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and coconut milk. Put the mixture on a buttered baking pan or and shape into a loaf.
4) Spread barbecue sauce over the loaf and arrange the bacon strips over the top.
5) Bake until bacon is crispy and meat loaf is firm, about 1 hour or until an internal temperature of 140 degrees is reached. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing or moving to a serving platter.