Shrimp, Avocado and Yam Salad with Lime DressingPosted: May 23, 2012
Makes 4 Servings
This is also a great salad without the shrimp, in case you want to serve it with another protein.
2 large organic sweet potatoes
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp
2 quarts chicken stock
1 teaspoon fresh ginger
1 stalk lemongrass
3 Tablespoon lime juice with zest (use a microplaner for this)
1 teaspoon cumin
Few pinches of red pepper flakes or to taste
1 whole Vidalia onion- sliced in this half moons
1/4 cup cilantro – coarsely chopped
1 Tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1) Wrap each yam in foil and bake at 400° for 1 hour. Cool.
2) Combine shrimp shells with stock, lemongrass, ginger, and pepper. bring to a boil and cook until reduced by one quarter, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 20 more minutes.
3) Strain shrimp stock and return to the pan; bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Add the shrimp and cook just until they turn pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a baking sheet and let cool.
4) Lime dressing; whisk together lime juice with zest, cumin, red pepper flakes, honey, fish sauce, salt, olive oil and toasted sesame oil.
5) Peel the yams and slice them crosswise 1/2 inch thick. in a large bowl. gently toss the potatoes with 3/4 cup of the dressing. let stand 15 minutes, tossing gently once or twice.
6) In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the onion and 1/4 cup dressing. Arrange the yams in a ring on 4 large plates. spoon the shrimp and onions into the center. fan the avocado over the shrimp and garnish with cilantro leaves. Drizzle with remaining dressing.