Mango-Guava Lime Tarts with Tropical Nut CrustPosted: September 17, 2009
Preparation time; 1 ½ hr.
1 cup macadamias
1 cup almonds
2 cups coconut flakes
¾ cup Succanat or organic sugar
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup apple juice
½ cup coconut milk
1 T agar agar
1/3 cup lime juice
1 t arrowroot
4 T guava jelly
1 T. butter
1) Combine nuts in food processor to coarse grind. Add coconut and buzz briefly. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, adding sugar when whites are still soft. Fold in to nuts.
2) Place mixture into buttered tart tins. Bake at 350° until moderately brown. Cool well before removing from tins.
3) Place apple juice and coconut milk in saucepan, gently heat to right before it comes to a simmer. Mix arrowroot and lime juice, add to pan, stirring until arrowroot is melted. Cool and let set ( putting it in freezer speeds this up ) about ½ way, then spoon into shells.
4) Place sliced mango on top of each tart.
5) Melt guava jelly and butter in a small pan and use a pastry brush to glaze mangoes.