Salmon PhoPosted: June 24, 2018
Serving Size : 4
1 Tablespoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon fennel powder
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon star anise powder
1/3 teaspoon clove
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 medium Onion — diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon ginger — grated
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
3/4 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons Red Boat fish sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin
2 Tablespoons Bragg’s Amino Acids
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 Tablespoon honey
For the bowls:
1 pound wild salmon — divided into 1/2 pound pieces
1 pound sliced mushrooms
1/2 medium yellow onion — sliced paper-thin
1 pound baby spinach
1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
1 1/2 scallions — green part only, cut into thin rings (3 to 4)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1) In a 3 quart iron Dutch oven, toast the spices on medium heat until aromatic, about 3 or 4 minutes.
2) Add broth and simmer about 15 minutes. Then strain liquid through cheesecloth into another pot or bowl. Wipe pan out.
3) Heat sesame oil until hot, add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until aromatic. Add mushrooms to pan and cook until done. Add the broth back to pot.
4) Heat the pho broth. Meanwhile bake salmon, at 295, for 9 minutes. Place in bowls you are going to serve the Pho in.
5) Add spinach to broth, let wilt, scoop out with slotted spoon and add beside salmon in bowl. Repeat with mung bean sprouts.
6) When ready to serve, pour hot broth over bowls, dividing the veggies evenly (onions, mushrooms). Top with cilantro and serve.