Frittata’s- A GREAT Make Ahead BreakfastPosted: July 23, 2013
Recent studies show that skipping breakfast raises your chance of heart disease by 27%! See an article on the study HERE.
The biggest challenge for most of my Nutrition Clients is incorporating a full healthy breakfast each day. Most people are rushed in the morning, most think that oatmeal is an ideal breakfast. The problem with oatmeal, like all grains, are mostly all carbohydrates and are severely deficient in nutrients.
So what is a great breakfast? Bacon and eggs cooked in butter, fruit, hot tea. Maybe some sliced tomato. This article tells us why- A high-fat breakfast of bacon and eggs may be the healthiest start to the day, report shows
That breakfast will give you a third of the days needed nutrition. If you are not up to cooking it each day, here is a great recipe to make ahead that will give you breakfast for 4 or 5 mornings. You can make it with smoked salmon or bacon.
4 Tablespoons organic butter
2 medium Baking Potatoes- grated, steamed
1 large onion- diced
2 red bell peppers- cut in medium matchsticks
1 yellow pepper- medium matchsticks
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
10 strips of bacon- cooked
20 large organic eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 Tablespoons Dill
1) Sauté’ onions in butter until softened and translucent. Add peppers and mushrooms, cover and sauté’ until all veggies are almost tender.
2) Place the grated potatoes on TOP of veggies, DO NOT STIR (or the potatoes will really stick to the pan). Cover and let the potatoes steam.
3) Line a springform pan with foil as if you were making a cheesecake. Make sure you are using a pan that seals well, otherwise use a casserole dish.
4) Scoop most of the potatoes up and press them into the pan well. Add veggies and spread evenly. Pour the eggs that you have scrambled or blended in blender. Top with dill.
5) Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven until eggs are set.