Gluten Free TortillasPosted: June 14, 2012
There seems to be a misconception that CORN is gluten free. It is not. It contains gluten but it a more water soluble form of gluten similar to the one in oats and spelt. This means that you will not experience the degree of digestive symptoms but it triggers symptoms allergy or intolerance symptoms; fibromyalgia, tinnitus, dizziness, build up of toxins and mucus in the body, low energy, learning disorders because of changes in brain chemistry, insomnia and headaches.
Here is a Corn and Gluten Free tortilla recipe. Makes 6 top 8 tortillas.
1 cup sweet rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup teff flour
2 teaspoons xantham gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons butter, coconut oil or beef fat
1 cup hot water
1) Heat black iron griddle to medium hot.
2 ) Combine all dry ingredients, then cut in fat using a pastry cutter. Add hot water, starting with 3/4 cup and mixing well. Continue adding water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed. It should be neither dry or wet feeling.
3) You can use a rolling pin but I place a ball of dough between two plastic bags and press down until the desired thickness is reached.
4) Bake on a hot griddle, turning only once when the edges of the tortilla start curling up and the surface on top looks dry.
5) The second side browns rather quickly.
6) Place all tortillas in a cold oven directly on rack. When you are ready to serve them turn on the oven to 300 and when the tortillas are warm remove from oven, wrap in cloth napkin and take to the table. They will be hot when the oven is almost preheated.