Coconut Fudge Sauce To Die For…..Posted: September 23, 2009
- 2/3 cup cashew or coconut cream (you have to make the cashew cream, you can buy coconut cream from Tropical Traditions).
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup packed organic dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 oz fine-quality Organic Fair Trade bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), finely chopped (I use Black & Gold Brand)
- 2 tablespoons organic raw butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
To make the cashew cream; place 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews in your blender, blend to a very fine powder, add 2/3 cups water, blend…you want it very thick while it is blending otherwise it will not be smooth enough. If it won’t barely go through the blades and blend properly, add small amounts of water until it will. Blend til very smooth. Then add water until it is he consistency of heavy cream or a tad thicker.
If you do not have coconut cream, buy Thai Kitchen coconut milk (not lie!)…and leave it in your cabinet for a few days to let it separate completely. Then very carefully, without shaking the can at ALL, open the can…and skim off the heavy cream on top…reserve coconut water for another use (like mixing with fresh pineapple juice to drink..
Bring cream, honey, sugar, cocoa, salt, and half of chocolate to a boil in a 1 to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until chocolate is melted. Reduce heat and cook at a low boil, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla, and remaining chocolate and stir until smooth. Cool sauce to warm before serving.
Cooks’ note: Sauce can be made 1 week ahead and cooled completely, then chilled in an airtight container or jar. Reheat before using.